Christian Friedrich Martin, from Mark Neukirchen learned his craft as a young man and perfected it as an employee of Johann Stauffer, the leading guitar manufacturer in Vienna at the time. Upon his return he faced a career threatening problem: The violin makers guild tried to keep anybody who wasn’t a member of their guild from making guitars. C. F. Martin, however, like many guitar makers in the early 19th century, was a member of the cabinet makers guild...
Martin Guitars started out in a time, when the acquisition of a musical instrument was a lifetime investment. Thus Martin guitars were built in absolutely professional quality from the get-go. In later times, Martin started producing more accessibly priced models with laminate Back and sides.
Around the turn of the millennium Martin also introduced instruments with laminate necks and Bodies made from high pressure laminate. These and other affordable instruments, are made in Martins own plant in Mexico. The classic, high class models are continuously made in Nazareth, Pennsylvania since 1840.